Thursday, June 17, 2010

Enough is Enough!

It's time to put my foot down.  I had heard that nesting is a real hormonal thing that happens when women come to the end of the pregnancy, but Mike isn't even pregnant!  No more nesting, Mike, I can't keep up!

We have 3 major projects going on at our home right now in order to "prepare" (Mike says) for the coming of the biggest event--our baby.  That's right, folks, 3 major home improvement projects.

#1--total destruction and remodel of upstairs bathroom.  Mike and I will be moving upstairs so that we can be on the same floor as the baby.  The problem with the upstairs bathroom is that the tub's hotwater was leaking, so Mike took the wrench and tightened it...right off of the tub!  "Well sure,"  you say to yourself, "just get a new faucet and that'll get the bathroom ready."  You, however, are obviously not married to Mike.  New faucet?  No, new bathroom!  Sweet for me:)  I'm so excited to see what it looks like when it's all done.

I thought I had pics of the bathroom from when we first moved in, but Mike must have downloaded them to his external drive, so I'll have to get them from him later.  All the "behind the scenes" work (plumbing, electrical, etc) is done, and Mike should be ready for the kind of progress you can actually see (framing, sheet rock, etc.) by early next week!

#2--ripping out all old cement and putting in new.  We have needed to do this since we moved in, but sprinkler systems, gardens, and kitchen all took priority.  So this year, the big project is the cement.  This wet, cold spring we've had has put us at least a month behind our plan, but I'm sitting on the couch listening to the sound of heavy machinery even as I type.  Ahhhhhh, the sound of progress.





Yeah, the cement is pretty bad!  The hole by the drain is the one that makes me the most nervous.  It's a liability just waiting to happen.  I'm glad it's getting replaced.

#3--putting in a basement window.  While the cement is being ripped up, we thought, "Now's the time to put in a window in the storage room!"  Crazy people:)  But it makes sense.  There's no sense pouring all new cement just to tear it up a year or two later to dig the window.  We want the window there because we'd like the option of turning the storage room into a bedroom.  I mean, Mike's always looking for a new project, so we might as well have one in the works for him, right?


So this is before the window was dug out...


This is where the hole is going to go...


And this is the hole!  This was dug yesterday.  It took a whopping 1 hour.  Mike is so glad he didn't dig it himself:)



The heavy machinery I'm hearing is the guy cutting out the cement for the window.  Mike will put that in tonight (I'll post pics) and then next week the excavator will come back and rip out all the cement.  It's a fun life we live, and we're loving every minute of it...well, I am anyway.

Katie's due in 10 days if you don't count today.  I can't believe it, and I'm so excited!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow! Everything is happening at once. 10 days?!?! I don't mean to scare you, but if it were me the baby would have been here yesterday, Eleanor was 2 days early. :) It is so exciting that everything is happening. Can't wait to see your beautiful baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and Jarren want to come visit when everything settles down. I am a really great help with babies, you can even ask Tabitha! :)

    ReplyDelete